The Multimedia Copy Editor has excellent copy editing, headline writing skills. They have strong web
content management skills, a demonstrated commitment to web/digital-oriented delivery of news and
understanding of and experience with using social media to promote news and interact with readers.
They are expected to pro-actively develop and complete an assignment without significant direction from
• Demonstrate mastery of assigned editing tasks.
• Demonstrate consistent, quality performance in effective editing, headline writing, website content
management and page pagination. Knows, understands and uses all appropriate editing and writing tools,
such as Associated Press and local styles.
• Demonstrate mastery of spelling, grammar, syntax and word usage, including he ability to tighten copy
• Adapt easily and effectively to changing technologies – social media, content management systems,
multimedia video/audio – uses them appropriately and effectively on the job.
• Understand and utilize effectively the newspaper’s website content management system – posts stories,
photos and related material, links related material, manages the story placement with regard to the
carousel and top stories rankings.
• Is pro-active in editing and processing local and wire news stories – sometimes in a first-read capacity –
using news judgment to determine priorities for getting stories to the Web and into the pipeline for the
GateHouse Central Desk in a timely fashion.
• Work as the off-hours liaison between the newsroom and the GateHouse Central Desk to answer
questions on content plans, copy flow, and to ensure deadlines are met.
• Manage time effectively to ensure consistently high quality performance and to meet deadlines.
• Demonstrate consistently strong communication skills in working with other staffers in the newsroom
and in other departments.
• Demonstrate a keen understanding of world, national, local and state news and uses that knowledge
effectively to improve performance.
• Demonstrate constantly improving skills, including improved ability to identify key or critical issues,
analyze them and use them effectively in copy editing and news judgment.
• Meet regularly, at copy editor’s request, with supervising editor to brainstorm and seek coaching.
• Demonstrate significant improvement in skills year-over-year.
• Perform all other duties as assigned. Maintains a positive work atmosphere by acting and
communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, co-workers and managers.
Please send resumes to: email@example.com