|Location:||TX - Austin|
|Job Category:||News Room / Editorial|
SUMMARY OF JOB
Studio is the in-house, full-service advertising agency owned and operated by Gatehouse Media. As part of the Studio creative team, the copywriter creates compelling advertising and integrated campaign copy for Studio’s external advertising clients. The Studio copywriter also supports the businesses’ overall objectives by providing creative content used in advertising and marketing materials for owned and operated print, digital, and social media product portfolio and publishing partners.
The copywriter is responsible for creating content in a multi-platform environment that includes native, websites, apps, print, digital, mobile, radio, TV, events, and research.
The copywriter interacts with graphic designers, sales and marketing leaders, and other internal departments, and should be comfortable representing the interests of all parties to achieve an outcome that realizes the most efficient use of time and resources while optimizing revenue potential.
The copywriter collaborates horizontally across the organization and interacts extensively with Sales and Marketing partners to deliver outstanding creative solutions which result in B2B/B2C growth. The position reports directly to the Studio Director and supports Studio department functions to achieve the organizational vision of growing both print and digital consumer revenue.
Please note that this is NOT an editorial or journalist writing position. It is geared towards the consumer and, in some cases, B2B.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESULTS AND CRITERIA:
- Work effectively with the Studio director, creative manager, graphic designers, account managers, video team, research analyst, and marketing colleagues to create compelling content for integrated campaigns, advertising, presentations, flyers, brochures, web banners, radio spots, TV commercials, event signage, and other media.
- Collaborate with Studio, Advertising, and Marketing teams to generate concepts for large advertising campaigns, positioning statements, theme lines for events and trade shows, and targeted messages for specific products.
- Acts as a brand champion for Statesman Media, Studio, the Austin American-Statesman, GateHouse Media and related brands/companies. Understands and helps set the tone of voice for the Statesman and fights to maintain the consistency of our brands, logos and messages.
- Contribute to content strategy, including editorial calendar development.
- Play a key role in creative brainstorming sessions.
- Effectively organize projects to maximize productivity.
- Create and enforce adherence to workflow processes and deadlines.
- Contribute to the ongoing and systematic improvement of processes and workflow by refining the feedback/approval portion of the creative development process to reduce email and excess review rounds.
- Ensure that all elements in any presentation – text, photos, captions and graphics – work together, are consistent, grammatically correct, and on brand..
- Communicate job status information to all team members on a daily basis.
- Assist with development of descriptive content and submission criteria for creative awards programs.
- Attend key planning meetings with internal & external customers.
- Maintain digital archives of all completed and cancelled projects for future reference.
- Perform related duties as assigned which may not be specifically listed in the job description, but which are within the general occupational series and responsibility level associated with the incumbent’s class of work.
- Education: BBA, BA, BS Required (English, Marketing, Advertising, Communications, etc.)
- Experience: 3-5 years of experience as a Copywriter in an Advertising agency or Marketing department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency using G-Suite: Docs, Gmail, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drive, Hangouts.
- Extensive understanding of the creative development process including design, copy and print production.
- Knowledge of marketing campaign creation and execution in which cross-platform mediums are utilized and multiple departments/customers are involved.
- Understanding of current advertising, marketing and social media trends.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Strong computer, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to successfully collaborate at all levels.
- Outgoing, amiable, and works well with different personalities.
- Proven ability to plan, organize and manage projects with a high sense of urgency and problem solving acumen.
- Ability to assess workload in order to prioritize and re-prioritize as necessary to meet client expectations, revenue potential and timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly solve problems by obtaining information, identifying key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a positive outcome.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain stable performance under pressure or opposition; handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
- Ability to manage conflict: to deal effectively with others using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
- Seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and opportunities; facilitating the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
- Adept in building trust by operating with integrity, remaining open to ideas, and supporting others even in the face of resistance or challenge.
Other: Possess valid Texas driver’s license, dependable transportation, acceptable driving record, and proof of liability insurance.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
- Basecamp (project management system) with Everhour integrated for time tracking
- Adobe CS
- Personal computer and related peripherals, including printers, mobile devices and tablets
Environmental factors include working indoors, managing multiple tasks simultaneously, working extra hours as needed to achieve end results.
This position requires the following physical effort:
- Sedentary work – Work requires limited physical exertion (up to 10 pounds); ability to
- Using a PC computer; ability to speak, listening and talk (including making presentations)
- Vision Requirements (with correction)
- Near vision: Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
- Mid-range vision: Clarity of vision at distances of more than 20 inches and less than 20 feet.
Required Physical Activities:
- Standing, walking, finger manipulation, talking, hearing, repetitive motions, and sitting for extended periods of time.
Alternatively, you can apply to this job using your profile on one of the following sites: