|Location:||NC - Fayetteville|
|Job Category:||News Room / Editorial|
The assistant editor will oversee all editorial and production operations for the Paraglide, including supervision of Fayetteville Observer staff. The assistant editor will also assist the staff with writing accurate, well-written stories, taking quality news photographs and be responsible for lay-out and design of the publication and the website. The assistant editor will ensure all deadlines are met to ensure smooth flow of copy for production. He or she will also be responsible for equipment required for the production of the Paraglide listed in the contract between Fayetteville Publishing Company and the U.S. Army. The person in this position will also respond to customer contacts in a manner that results in complete customer satisfaction. The assistant editor is the liaison between The Fayetteville Observer and Fort Bragg Public Affairs Office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise all Fayetteville Observer employees assigned to the Paraglide to include assisting with personnel issues, writing performance reports, reporting department hours worked and approving vacation days.
- Make sure all employees have access to training either in-house or external.
- Keep track of all Fayetteville Observer equipment and ensure that repairs of equipment are completed in a timely manner.
- Keep track of all articles and photographs to ensure editorial content is ready at time of production.
- With InDesign, design and lay-out editorial content on pages, using solid design techniques.
- If needed, cover stories to produce articles for publication in the Paraglide. Some assignments may require evening or weekend hours.
- Read for clarity, holes in stories, facts, Associated Press style and other issues before submitting a story; include a suggested headline with all stories; run spell check on every story before sending to managing editor.
- Take quality journalistic-style photographs to accompany stories or for stand-alone publication.
- Have a working knowledge of the weekly newspaper computer system.
- Be able to manage time to complete all assignments on deadline.
- Listen to and communicate with customers, internal and external, in order to enhance the image, usefulness and demand for the Paraglide while providing extraordinary customer service. Maintain a professional and courteous conduct when dealing with customers.
- Identify any concerns or complaints concerning news to the Managing Editor.
- Identify any concerns or complaints concerning advertising or circulation to the appropriate Fayetteville Observer department.
This position requires availability on nights and weekends. This job description may not include all tasks or essential job functions, and may be revised as needed to meet the needs of the department. The Managing Editor or Fayetteville Publishing Company Contract Manager may assign other tasks or projects at his/her discretion.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Supervisory experience and skills
- Knowledge of production procedures for a newspaper
- Ability to write original news, sports and feature articles using proper English grammar and Associated Press style.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word
- Proficient in Adobe InDesign CS 4 or equivalent layout program
- Page design experience
- Proficient in using a professional-grade camera to take quality news photographs
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop CS4 for basic photo editing purposes
- Proficient in Macintosh or Windows platforms
- Must be able to fluently read, write, speak and understand standard English.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Graphic Design or comparable military journalism experience is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Three to five years experience with at least two years in a supervisory position in print journalism is ideal. Candidate should have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and familiarity with desktop publishing packages. Page layout experience and knowledge of various graphic design programs a plus.
- Must be able to carry at least 15 pounds for camera kit.
- Must be able to stand or walk up to four hours per day on a variety of surfaces.
- Must be able to sit for up to 8 hours per day.
- Must be able to twist, kneel and bend while taking photographs.
- Finger and wrist dexterity required.
- May be exposed to loud noise if covering military exercises.
- May be exposed to weather conditions if covering military exercises or other outdoor events.
DRESS: Must maintain high standards of personal dress and demeanor. When covering stories in “the field,” the employee must wear clothing appropriate to the environment such as sturdy shoes, hardy clothing and safety gear that the military safety personnel may provide.
This position reports to: Managing Editor for editorial content and the Fayetteville Observer Contract Manager for company issues such as hours, compensation and disciplinary actions.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Must be committed to adhering to all green business policies.
NOTE: This list of essential duties and responsibilities for this position is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.