|Title:||Labor Relations Leader|
|Location:||MA - Quincy|
|Job Category:||Human Resources|
GateHouse Media is looking for a Labor Relations leader to serve as the company's chief spokesperson and a strategic advisor on complex labor and employment issues. This role can be housed in our Quincy, MA office or any or our larger markets.
This position will serve as the Company’s chief spokesperson in negotiating and administering complex labor contracts, including strategizing, and advising on the interpretation and application of the contract and conducting grievance hearings. In addition, this position may provide support in Administrative hearings involving unfair labor practices, bargaining unit clarification, union representation proceedings, classification appeals, and grievance and arbitration hearings. This position also serves as a strategic advisor to management on labor and employment laws, personnel matters, contract administration, and participates in briefing senior management on labor policies and complex and/or corporate-wide labor relations issues. The Labor Relations Leader must have the ability to work with and understand the needs of functional area staff and conclude successful negotiations.
Essential Job Functions
The successful candidate for this position will, at a minimum, be able to clearly demonstrate skills and abilities to:
- Serve as a strategic advisor:
- Serving as an advisor to management on effective bargaining strategies; developing proposed labor policies. Includes preparation and presentation of briefing materials to senior management
- Consulting with management and HR professionals on labor and employment law and contract administration concerning a wide range of personnel matters, including but not limited to, performance management issues and employee discipline.
- Operating as a primary liaison to outside counsel on labor matters
- Serve as Chief spokesperson on complex labor contracts, responsible for:
- Negotiating and assisting in the administration of contracts.
- Advising departments and Executive Leadership on contract interpretation and application.
- Attending Labor Management Committees.
- Participate in administrative hearings, including:
- Grievance arbitrations regarding the interpretation of a collective bargaining agreement and its application.
- Regulatory arbitrations presenting evidence in support of the Company’s proposals for contract changes.
- Hearings regarding discipline and employee reclassification appeals.
- Give strategic input on:
- Recommending approaches for successful implementation of the company’s labor strategy objectives
- Advocating for GateHouse Media labor initiatives broadly and at the local level
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities:
- Superb consensus building skills.
- Excel at working within a team.
- A track record of successful collaboration with clients and an array of stakeholders.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Can persevere and adapt as necessary, while working in a multi-faceted and continuously changing environment.
- An interest in continually improving how they approach work.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's Degree minimum, Master’s preferred from an accredited four-year college or university and/or eight years of progressively responsible experience negotiating complex labor agreements. J.D. Degree accepted.
The most qualified applicants will have considerable experience as the chief spokesperson negotiating and administering complex labor agreements for media organizations with multiple stakeholders (department directors, employees and labor unions).
- Significant experience in the following areas:
- Labor contract administration and labor/management committees in the media industry.
- Arbitration and hearing preparation and presentation of cases before an impartial adjudicator or tribunal.
- Applying labor and employment law and consulting with clients and stakeholders on labor and employment issues.
- Conducting research, preparing exhibits and preparing case briefs.