|Location:||MO - Columbia|
Tribune Publishing Company
Position Title: Operator 2 Date: 7-15-17
Reports To: Production Manager/Lead Operator
Directly Supervises: functional supervision of crew
Requires Working Relationships With: manager; shift supervisors; finishers; finisher/material handlers; other bindery/mailroom co-workers; customer service representatives; pressroom employees; other Tribune employees
Position Identification: Setting up, operating, troubleshooting and maintaining mailroom/bindery machines; supervising (functionally) crews of to 12 in production and quality control. Achieves high quality by constantly monitoring the accuracy of the work produced as well as making the necessary adjustments to ensure the goals of the customer and company are met on a consistent and predictable basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Gain full understanding of the proper operation of equipment you are responsible for.
2. Operate equipment with both quality and productivity as top priorities.
3. Achieve highest productivity and quality possible.
4. Constantly monitor quality – direct crew to monitor quality.
5. Work to minimize and eliminate all production errors on your machine.
6. Direct your crews to operate your machinery in full compliance with all safety standards.
7. Consistently and completely perform all operator maintenance of equipment.
8. Complete part requirement forms and deliver to shift supervisor.
9. Complete maintenance request forms and deliver to shift supervisor.
10. Supervise and direct your crewmembers. Make certain they perform their jobs properly.
11. Paperwork: complete shift report; production log; temporary timesheets; and temporary log-in report.
12. Perform standard housekeeping procedures continuously during shift.
13. Complete all housekeeping procedures before you and your crew clock out.
14. Assign duties to all idle crewmembers. Eliminate all idle time for self and crew.
15. Monitor and direct all breaks in compliance with break policy for self and crew.
16. Maintain good punctuality and attendance record.
1. Complete timesheet legibly and accurately.
2. Follow proper call in procedures if going to be late or absent.
3. Move skids loaded with printed material to various areas of the plant in a proper, safe manner on a frequent basis.
Skills and Specifications (knowledge, skills, abilities, physical and emotional requirements):
- Minimum One year related work experience
- Ability to work well under constant deadline pressure
- Mechanical aptitude
- Attention to detail
- Good problem solving skills
- Assertiveness and good communication skills
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, bend and twist on a regular basis.
- Ability to lift 25 to 50 pound bundles on a regular basis, 70 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to move loaded skids of up to 2500 pounds on a frequent basis.
- Attention to detail; assertiveness; flexibility; and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to read, write, and understand instructions.
- Ability to work in a team based environment.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions with minimal supervision.
- Basic computer skills (word processing and spreadsheet).
- Education sufficient enough to read, write, and understand instructions.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Organizational skills.
- Self-discipline and the ability to work independently.
* This position description does not necessarily contain all of the periodic duties for this position.