|Title:||Editor, Digital Audience Development|
|Location:||FL - Florida|
|Job Category:||News Room / Editorial|
|Division:||Center for News & Design|
GateHouse Media, LLC
Center for News & Design
Digital Audience Development Editor Opportunity
This hands-on role coordinates and executes content efforts to reach and engage niche audiences within and beyond the GateHouse Florida core. We’re looking for a sharp, detail-oriented editor who is passionate about language and how it can be finessed to meet a digital audience where they are. This person will be knowledgeable but still curious about owned and operated platforms like newsletters and push alerts and how these can be used to tell stories, turning casual readers into digitally-engaged subscribers.
We are seeking a digitally savvy journalist with a comprehensive knowledge of AP style and SEO best practices. He or she will also have a solid understanding of social media, internet culture and the varied digital spaces and have a proven versatility to shift voice and tone based on the potential audience.
- Managing and executing content and distribution efforts for niche products, including topics such as Food, Travel, Politics, Technology and more.
- creating and curating mobile-first content for use across GateHouse Florida properties;
- Familiarity and/or curiosity with the following platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Apple News, Flipboard, SmartNews, Reddit, Google News, Google AMP Stories, YouTube, chat apps, newsletters, desktop and push notifications
- working with the Directors of Content, Distribution and Metrics to implement multi-tiered digital strategies that increase search, newsletter and social traffic
- Developing digital content best practices to encourage cross-platform storytelling across GateHouse Florida and beyond
The ideal candidate for this position will have strong news judgment, line-editing skills and attention to detail. He or she also understands the importance of local news, thrives in an innovative environment, is an organized self-starter who drives a culture of collaboration, education and experimentation, and is deeply interested in expanding and deepening GateHouse Florida’s relationship with its audiences.
- Content coordination and creation, including ideation, editing, writing, scheduling, producing and proofreading: 50%
- Digital content strategy, including creating, implementing and assessing: 25%
- Communicate and collaborate across teams, newsrooms and departments: 25%
- Must be passionate about local news and covering community
- Must be goal oriented and demonstrates project management skills
- Well-organized, analytical, creative with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- A disciplined self-starter who can operate independently and proactively while working in a team environment
- High energy, team mentality is a must
- Wide-ranging curiosity
- Thrives most when experimenting with digital storytelling formats\
- Interest in audience engagement and how to represent a brand in digital space beyond the profile image
- 4-5 years of experience in a traditional newsroom working on digital content creation and strategy, specifically with platform-based storytelling on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, newsletters and others
- Distinctive writing voice, with a knack for identifying shareable content across the digital landscape and for translating evergreen content into new and emerging digital spaces.Strong working knowledge of digital media performance analytics e.g., Google Analytics, Facebook and Instagram Insights, Chartbeat
- Proficiency in SEO and user habit in search engines
- An understanding of quality, user-generated content and how to turn that content into a digital story
- Experience posting information online, on social, via apps and in email -- maintaining a website a plus
- Proficient computer skills with Intermediate Google Sheets, Slides, Docs and custom dashboards ability; digital chat tools such as Slack, Google Hangouts, etc.
GateHouse Media, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Alternatively, you can apply to this job using your profile on one of the following sites: