|Location:||IL - Springfield|
|Job Category:||General Management / Executive|
GateHouse Media is an industry-leading media organization, investing in cutting-edge technologies, products, services and partnerships to revolutionize how we serve our 220,000 small- and-medium-sized business customers in a digital world. We are currently seeking a General Manager to lead operations in the Springfield, IL market.
The primary responsibility of a General Manager is to achieve and surpass the company’s budgeted revenue and increase print and digital advertising revenues by working directing with markets on revenue generating strategies to achieve or exceed revenue goals. The General Manager is also responsible for managing operations, circulation, production, bookkeeping and editorial so that they align with our mission to deliver the best local print and digital products that serve the needs of our advertisers and readers while maintaining an exceptional level of customer service and professionalism.
- Partners with Publisher to establish and review business goals, operational plans, and budget
- Consistently meets/exceeds all print and digital revenue targets
- Demonstrates expert knowledge and understanding of all GateHouse Media sales and marketing assets, including all newspaper products, digital products and digital marketing services (ThriveHive) and able to transfer the knowledge to direct reports
- Evaluates the market to develop and implement cost-effective sales marketing strategies in coordination with the Illinois Sales Director
- Analyze and review systems reports to ensure goal attainment
- Monitors each department’s functions to ensure goal attainment. Has leadership authority and responsibilities for staff
- Works with Regional leaders, department managers and Regional Publisher to coordinate department goals and achieve company objectives
- Executes GateHouse prescribed best practices on Pipeline Management and Gap Analysis. Holds sales personnel accountable to complete all required sales process activities
- Assists with new business development by routinely attending sales calls to assist with campaign and presentation development and consistently supports customer service efforts to retain current customers
- Ensures that the team consistently meets and/or exceeds revenue goals. Always aware of performance to goal; measures sales executive performance by revenue to goal, quarterly and annually. Ensures that high levels of performance are always top of mind
- Holds staff accountable to revenue goals, objectives, KPIs and other metrics. Creates effective formal activity metrics for staff
- Manages staff to consistently maintain a forward, robust pipeline. Stays current on potential wins.
- Understands methodology for goal setting and applies that methodology accordingly; has an in-depth knowledge of MMSE accounts, prospects and each prospect's potential
- Establishes aggressive but realistic goals for staff in coordination with Illinois Sales Director; incorporates staff’s input in the goal setting process Develops a strong sales plan with team and holds staff accountable for achieving their plans
- Provides appropriate mix of direction and strategy. Collaborates with the staff on strategy, innovation, etc., to ensure that new ideas are developed and presented to clients
- Works with Illinois Consumer Marketing Director to ensure that circulation revenue budget is achieved through rate management, supervision of staff sales strategies, effectiveness by growing paid home delivery and single copy sales and ensuring home delivery services standards are met
- Effectively communicates with Publisher to provide accurate revenue forecasts and market intelligence that may impact revenue (+/-)
- Maintains the highest levels of personal and professional behavior in the workplace and in the market and is active in the community as the local face of the company, striving to continuously strengthen, repair or build relationships with readers and advertisers
- Inspects and monitors company property and facilities, reporting issues to the group publishers so that a satisfactory and safe work environment is maintained
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of competitive media landscape; use for new business development and sales analysis
- Demonstrated track record of exhibiting leadership behavior, creating a positive, motivating, and productive team environment
- Ability to coach and develop cold calling and other prospecting techniques including social media where applicable
- Highly motivated, self-starting individual with initiative and drive to succeed through others
- Ability to close new business and lead a team to exceed sales targets
- Successful track record of pushing past rejection and achieving results with data-driven sales strategy
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to build and deliver effective presentations
- Strong networking and community involvement skills
- Eagerness to learn, continually seeking to improve sales skills and the skills of others
- Strong time management and follow up skills
- Organized with an attention for detail
- Computer and software experience with MS Office programs including Excel, Powerpoint, and Word
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sales, Marketing or Business preferred; or equivalent work experience in media related business.
- Management experience, preferably in a sales environment
- Media leadership experience, including setting goals and top priorities, and empowering teams to succeed
- Prior experience in digital marketing sales highly desirable Physical Demands/Work
Environment: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
GateHouse Media and all subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and value diversity in our workplace.
Alternatively, you can apply to this job using your profile on one of the following sites: