|Location:||GA - Augusta|
|Job Category:||News Room / Editorial|
STATEMENT OF THE JOB: Performs a wide variety of complex reporting assignments, acting as an expert in certain subject areas. May cover a beat or beats and may work on investigative, in-depth articles or larger projects. Should work in a professional journalistic manner for print, digital platforms and social media.
REQUIREMENTS OR SPECIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or English and at five years of experience as a reporter for a news organization, advanced multimedia skills preferred.
- Must be able to work independently on most complicated reporting assignments.
- Must have reliable automobile and smartphone
- Must be licensed driver and carry appropriate auto insurance.
- & TRAINING: Ability to coordinate and produce stories, current events and be enterprising while looking for new angles beyond the routine. Should have some multimediaskills and the ability to tell a story in multiple ways. Should have solid command of English language and rules of grammar. Must work well with others. Must have some computer and proofreading skills. Must have transportation, valid driver’s license and be able to furnish proof of insurance on vehicle.
Physical Demands: see attached physical specification form for physical demands.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work will be performed inside and outside the newsroom. Must have sense of urgency with news coverage and be able to work under stressful conditions, alone or with a team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Diligently cover assigned beat, or beats, and other assignments in multiple formats on multiple platforms. This includes shooting photos and video with most stories.
- Must be able to manage and engage in social media with emphasis on timely information and sourcing.
- Meet deadlines and work under pressure with quality and speed during newsgathering duties. Must be able to work on short-term and long-term projects through time management and planning.
- Be accurate, expert in verification and conform to appropriate media style. Provides fair and accurate assessment of news impact.
- Use a thorough knowledge of current events and the content of the newspaper and apply this knowledge to the job. Generate ideas for news and feature coverage in all media formats expected.
- Demonstrate integrity, initiative, integration and innovation in both personal conduct and daily work.
- Be able to develop and maintain sources and knowledge to develop stories and report in timely fashion. Protects confidential information and sources.
- Must be able to work independently and solve complex problems, taking initiative to create new methods or establish protocols or help determine story play, along with editors.
- May also provide technical direction to less experienced reporters or serve as lead on team reporting assignments. This could include basic training or mentoring assignments as required.
- Perform other tasks as necessary or assigned by supervisors.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances changes (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, or presence of disability, which would not prevent the performance of essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation or any other protective status.
Interested applicants should forward published clips, a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
GateHouse Media offers a competitive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and more. Drug-free workplace, EOE