|Title:||National Data Projects Reporter|
|Location:||OH - Columbus|
|Job Category:||News Room / Editorial|
National Data Projects Reporter
GateHouse Media is seeking a national data projects reporter who loves digging into data in pursuit of compelling stories.
You would be part of the GateHouse national news team but work in Columbus, our largest news organization. If you’re from another strong GateHouse newsroom, we would consider keeping you there. (No need to separate you from your favorite coffee maker.)
This is a new, unique position. You would work collaboratively with other GateHouse investigative journalists, assist GateHouse newsrooms on data initiatives, and develop/implement 1-2 national reporting projects each year.
The perfect candidate would be a strong technician who understands programming, loves complex projects, and knows how to visualize data. This is someone with editor-level skills who loves to report and write.
You would work independently but also collaborate with designers, developers, data wonks and journalists throughout GateHouse, including the Austin-based Center for News & Design.
The CND is a division of GateHouse Media, one of the largest and best-managed media companies in the nation. We have journalists working for more than 600 digital and print publications in 36 states, reaching 10 million people on a weekly basis through mobile, online and print platforms.
We focus on community journalism and hyperlocal news, gathering the latest and greatest news from around our nation’s best communities. It’s the kind of news that matters to our readers day to day. We believe journalism and audience-focused content have value.
Our priorities: #DoJournalismWithImpact #EmbraceOurFuture. Yes, we love hashtags.
This is how we will approach the future:
- We will use data to help readers see patterns, opportunities and injustices.
- We will be disciplined.
- We will pay attention to audience experiences and behaviors.
- We will help newsrooms with high-end projects.
- We will succeed.
- We will have fun.
- We will think big, act big.
- An expert-level understanding of and ability to use the tools of computer-assisted reporting, especially powerful database and mapping/visualization programs.
- Experience and expertise negotiating for data.
- A practical understanding of and some ability to use web-development tools. Being able to display the data behind investigative findings is an essential storytelling layer.
- An appreciation and willingness to tell data stories in alternative, visually compelling ways.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Ability to work well with other editors and journalists.
- Mature judgment and the strongest commitment to fairness. Our investigative stories are our highest-stake, most sensitive coverage.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- A genuine enthusiasm for helping and teaching others.
- Must care about methodology.
- Must strive for perfection.
- Be a critical thinker.
- The ability to juggle multiple tasks and occasionally leap tall buildings without spraining ligaments.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Well-developed understanding of content that drives audience
- Must know data and have a strong interest in programming.
- Capable of producing various forms of writing styles
- Experience in writing alternative story formats, with a deep understanding of producing content for digital and mobile audiences
- Working knowledge of creating and using digital layers
- Highly developed interviewing techniques, with a variety of sources and subject matters
- Well versed on journalism ethics, copyright and fair use
- Has familiarity with using content management systems
- Good organizational skills; able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Has strong digital and project managing skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, computer science or a related field is strongly preferred. Previous experience as an award-winning investigative reporter is a must.