|Location:||MO - Columbia|
|Job Category:||News Room / Editorial|
The Columbia Daily Tribune is looking for an Editor.
This position directs coverage of and produces editorially compelling newspapers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates news and feature coverage with the editorial staff.
- Manages editorial staff in accordance with company policy. Provides consistent feedback to editors.
- Works consistently with editors to improve their performance.
- Works with editors to maximize use of staff resources.
- Initiates and directs special projects.
- Communicates with other department heads to further editorial mission.
- Finds and works with correspondents to supplement the editorial staff’s work.
- Edits material to ensure clean copy.
- Demonstrates news judgment and initiative to produce community-based stories beyond meeting and event coverage.
- Works collaboratively with other staff members and departments to coordinate photographs and graphics with copy.
- Consistently meets deadline requirements.
- Consistently meets budget requirements.
- Interacts with residents of the communities so as to encourage readership.
- Conducts performance appraisals as scheduled.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Consistent ability to manage staff and necessary workflow.
- Outstanding ability to react quickly to changing situations without direction.
- Knowledge of ethical and appropriate coverage.
- Outstanding computer skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of company’s editorial style and philosophy.
- A complete command of the English language, including grammar skills.
- A complete command of AP style.
- Knowledge of local government processes.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; or minimum of six years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.