|Location:||TX - Austin|
|Job Category:||IT / Engineering|
|Division:||Center for News & Design|
Department: GateHouse Media News & Interactive
Based: GateHouse Center for News & Design, Austin, TX
Reports to: Director of digital development operations
Overall responsibility: The web developer role is responsible for designing, coding, modifying and maintaining all Gatehouse-owned newspaper websites. This includes but is not limited to layout, functionality and user experience. The developer proposes development strategies to help the group become more efficient and strives to create robust, recyclable code that is user-friendly and requires little to no documentation. The developer also builds web apps that serve the external needs of our audiences around the country, or internal needs for the various departments within Gatehouse.
The position has regular exposure to business stakeholders and executive management, as well as the authority and scope to apply expertise to many interesting technical problems. The candidate must have a strong understanding of UI, cross-browser compatibility, general web functions and standards.
The position requires constant communication with colleagues.
The preferred applicant would have the following skills and experience:
● PHP, HTML, JS, CSS (jQuery, Bootstrap, HTML5, Handlebars, SCSS)
● AWS tools (EC2, ELB, Route53, IAM, RDS, Elastic IPs, security groups and policies, S3, Cloudfront, Cloudwatch, among other services)
● Terminal (SSH, bash scripting)
● Code management tools (FTP, GIT, Grunt, MySQL)
● Google tools (Analytics, Webmaster, Custom Dimensions, Surveys, Tag Manager)
● Mobile web design/development
● JSON/XML feeds
● MVC frameworks (NodeJS, Angular)
● Experience with QA
● Zendesk or a similar support ticket system
● Microsoft suite
● Adobe tools